IFE Level 2 Certificate in Fire Science, Operations and Safety (VRQ)
Qualification Number: 500/5925/7
This examination is offered in South Africa in exam sessions: March and October.
The IFE Level 2 Certificate in Fire Science, Operations and Safety (VRQ) has been developed by the Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE), representatives of Fire and Rescue services and other fire professionals. The content and structure of the qualification has been established to reflect best professional practice and covers key knowledge and understanding in the areas of fire engineering science, fire service operations and fire safety.
Aims of the Qualification
The IFE Level 2 Certificate in Fire Science, Operations and Safety (VRQ) has been designed to enable individuals to demonstrate a wide range of critical knowledge and understanding relevant to the role of firefighter. Success in the qualification will enable individuals to demonstrate that they can apply their knowledge and skills to provide solutions in diverse fire and rescue situations.
The qualification will meet the needs of:
- Those employed, or preparing for employment, as firefighters who wish to develop and demonstrate knowledge and understanding relevant to the role;
- Those operating in specialist contexts, such as aviation fire operations or fire safety inspection roles, who wish to demonstrate knowledge and understanding relevant to the role;
- Other fire professionals who wish to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of fire engineering science, fire operations and fire safety.
Candidates who achieve this qualification should be able to:
- Carry out mathematical calculations accurately
- Understand scientific principles in relation to fire and the methods of extinguishing fire
- Understand basic procedures and how to use equipment in firefighting operations
- Understand the safety precautions and prevention methods used to protect individuals and the built environment
The qualification consists of one unit, Fire Science, Operations and Fire Safety (Ofqual Unit Reference number R/505/5748).
The unit is divided into three sections:
- Fire Engineering Science
- Fire Service Operations
- Fire Safety
Candidates taking examinations in October 2017 should refer to the 2017 syllabus – please click here.
The syllabus has been updated for 2018. Candidates taking examinations in 2018 should refer to the updated syllabus – 2018 IFE Level 2 Certificate in Fire Science, Operations and Safety.
Form of Assessment
The assessment takes the form of one written three-hour examination. The examination contains 120 multiple choice questions.
The examination is divided into three sections, reflecting the three sub-sections of the unit. The Fire Engineering Science and Fire Service Operations sections of the paper each contain 45 questions and the Fire Safety section contains 30 questions.
Sample Exam Questions for Level 2 Certificate are available for viewing by candidates.
Grading and Certification
Successful candidates will be awarded a Pass Certificate. Outcomes are not graded.
In order to achieve a Pass, candidates must achieve at least 50% of the marks available ie 60 correct responses. (Note: grade boundaries are reviewed and confirmed by an expert panel review following each examination session in line with best practice awarding procedures.)
Candidates do not need to achieve a minimum number of marks in each of the sub-sections of the examination. The total number of correct answers from across the whole paper is used to determine whether or not candidates have met the minimum requirement to achieve a Pass.