Join us and be part of a global network of fire professionals.
Membership of the Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE) connects you to the world of fire engineering. No matter where you are in your career, whether you are studying or working, we have a range of memberships to suit everyone. With more than 11 000 members in 41 Branches around the world we provide all members with the access to education, resources, and qualifications that they need to continuously develop and raise standards. By becoming a member, you will receive IFE letters after your name to demonstrate your professional status and other benefits including access to a global community of fire professionals and learning resources.
Being a member of IFE gives you a range of benefits.
IFE Member Benefits
- Enhance your professional status with IFE letters after your name (post-nominals)
- Get professionally registered – being a graded member allows you the ability to apply for professional registration with the Engineering Council (UK)
- Improve your career prospects, employability, and earning potential
- Members have access to the latest international industrial vacancy listing
- Purchase books through the IFE shop with an exclusive member discount
- Receive international recognition of competence and commitment
- Grow your professional network and receive support from local branches wherever you are in the world
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) –
- Further, your knowledge, understanding, and expertise with exclusive access to our CPD Hub
- CPD tracking facility – Member-only online CPD recording and tracking member benefits
- Share your knowledge – the chance for your submitted content to feature in our CPD Hub
- Receive a subscription to the member e-newsletter and the International Fire Professional Journal
- An individual portal included with a subscription to access benefits and manage your membership
To join as a member
Applicants for Student must be following an ongoing programme of fire study including IFE qualifications – evidence of the course programme must accompany your application. Free student membership is available for individuals that are currently studying towards a fire related qualification. Student membership requires proof of current study and is limited to a maximum of five years. Student members receive all the benefits of being an IFE member which gives access to our online CPD Hub where fire engineering learning material is brought together in one convenient place and also our IFE journal, International Fire Professional.
Applicants not meeting the above criteria can join as an Affiliate Individual.
Other grades of membership are available to applicants who have relevant and recognised qualifications from other educational institutes (RPL). For grades other than Student or Affiliate, a more detailed application is required and this should be specifically requested or downloaded from this website.
It is also possible to join the IFE without any formal qualifications. If you have the relevant fire-related experience you may be eligible to apply for other grades using the Technical Report Route or the Individual Assessment route.
We continue to help build confidence in our members’ professionalism, skills, and experience.
Not sure which membership grade you should apply for?
We have different membership types to suit anyone interested in, studying, or working in fire engineering, with graded memberships designed to recognise you at different stages of your career. Email your latest CV to firstname.lastname@example.org for us to help you find the grade that matches your qualifications and experience.
- Technician – Membership Requirements
- Graduate – Membership Requirements
- Associate – Membership Requirements
- Member – Membership Requirements
- Fellow – Membership Requirements
- Affiliate (Individual)
- Affiliate (Organisation)
Membership in the IFE connects you to the world of fire engineering. No matter where you are in your career, whether you are studying or working, we have a range of memberships to suit everyone.
Fees can be claimed by an employer to the extent that its employee is reimbursed for the expenditure incurred in relation to professional membership fees.
Annual fees (January to December 2024)
- Student – no charge to those enrolled in fire study including IFE qualifications.
- Technician R2,673-75 incl. vat
- Graduate R3,191-25 incl. vat
- Associate R3,478-75 incl. vat
- Member R4,485-00 incl. vat
- Fellow R6,641-25 incl. vat
- Affiliate (Individual) R3,421-25 incl. vat
- Affiliate (Organisation) R18,055-00 incl. vat
These fees will be valid until December 2024, after which subscription fees are renewable on 1 January every year. Fees are subject to change due to fluctuating exchange rates.
New members joining from October to December will pay the next year’s rates and receive the last three months of the current year ‘gratis’.
Corporate Account Membership
This service is available to businesses that would like to explore IFE membership for their organisation and its employees. This membership provides benefits to many organisations, typically those who require 50 or more of their employees to be members. Contact us at email@example.com for further information.
Method of payment
Payment for subs, exam fees, and books may be made by cash, credit card, EFT, or bank deposit (please send proof of payment with a legible name). Foreign payments must be via SWIFT transfer from your bank to ours.